Woah-oh, I'm halfway there!
I just barely made it to the halfway point last weekend, and the "I don't know if I can go on" moments are becoming more and more frequent...but whatever. I'll just chug along and see where I end up. It helps in terms of finding udon to eat that I started eating meat again over a month ago. I doesn't help that I'm not very fond of meat udon. I do honestly doubt that I can make it to 100 without having to pull some stunts in the kitchen (peanut butter udon? udon cookies?? baby udon???) But even if I don't make it to 100, I'll have earned my fair share of food memories and food babies from the experience. I still can't cook udon properly at home worth a damn, I'm becoming slightly more discerning about what may make a good udon dish.
37. Curry nanban udon: This is a type of curry udon, with a combination of various flavors. "Nanban" means "southern savages," which, according to this page, may refer to the Portuguese. I don't quite know why, as my understanding of Japanese history is severely lacking...but history aside, curry udon is curry udon is curry udon.
38. Wakame udon: "Wakame" is a type of seaweed commonly used in miso soup, another Japanese staple. I personally love seaweed and kelp, but can't speak for anyone else.
39. Yakiudon: Yakisoba is by far my favorite Japanese food, and this is basically the same but with udon noodles (instead of ramen noodles.) I couldn't finish it, but I mourned what little was leftover, and I yearn for another round of it.
40. Salted pork udon with green onions: Yeah, I eat meat now.
41. Niku udon: More meat udon (with beef.) I'm still figuring out what I like when it comes to meat, and I'm on the fence about the beef and pork in udon...
42. Niku bukkake udon:
43. Curry kamatama udon: Curry udon with an egg.
44. Pesto cream sauce udon: I made it with pre-packaged udon and pre-packaged pesto cream sauce. It was great, but I'm sure it'd be better with homemade pesto.
45. Beef curry udon: This was pretty fan-fucking-tastic. I stand by my belief that curry makes everything better.
46. Ginger egg ankake udon: "Shouga tamago ankake udon." It's a type of udon with a thicker, saltier broth. It's like ginger-flavored wonton soup with udon. Perfect for winter, like shippoku udon!
47. Duck sauce kama-age udon: Everyone has been raving about this one since November, and since I eat meat now, I had to try. I think I died. I died and gone to heaven. I cleaned the tray, and still wanted more, and the serving was pretty big to start with. I think I cried. It's dipping sauce, with duck, and hot noodles for dipping. Shinpei, please.
48. Mushroom pork ankake udon: It's the same as the ginger egg udon, but with salted pork and mushrooms. Add some sweet potatoes and you have winter in a bowl.
49. Toriten curry udon: "Toriten" is chicken tempura, and even though I've only had chicken tempura at one restaurant, I can assume it's the best in the country.
50. Sesame broth udon: I dumped some sesame dipping sauce into the pot while the noodles were boiling and added some soy sauce. It was pretty amazing. I was inspired by the walnut zaru udon at Shinpei, and an idea from a friend who said I should make a peanut sauce udon. I couldn't find peanut sauce, so I grabbed some sesame dressing.
Two years ago: gluten-free orange-scented soda bread
Three years ago: under my umbrella
1. bukkake udon
2. kamatama udon
3. curry udon
4. zaru udon
5. tempura udon
6. salad udon
7. tororo udon
8. sankake/yamakake udon
9. kitsune udon
10. kakiage udon
11. kake udon
12. spicy summer vegetable udon
13. salted bukkake udon
14. kayaku udon
15. boiled egg udon
16. kizami udon
17. cheese curry udon
18. walnut sauce udon
19. green curry udon
20. butter mentai udon
21. Chikuten (chikuwa and egg tenpura)
22. Home-made udon veggie stir fry
23. FAILED home-made cheesy udon
24. Mushroom udon
25. Tsukimi (moon-viewing)
26. Ebiten (shrimp tenpura)
28. Home-made tomato cream sauce
29. Oboro konbu
31. Kama age
32. Sea chicken (tuna mayo) udon
33. Yuzu tororo (shredded kelp) udon
34. Home-made iriko (fish broth) udon
35. Miso udon
36. Yuzu broth udon
37. Curry nanban
40. Salted pork udon with green onions
41. Beef udon
42. Beef bukkake udon
43. Curry kamatama
44. Pesto cream sauce
45. Beef curry udon
46. Ginger egg ankake
47. Duck sauce
48. Mushroom pork ankake
49. Chicken tempura curry udon
50. Sesame udon
I-don, you-don, we all-don for udon!